These Melted Pony Bead Pins are perfect for Mother’s Day! Make with Mom’s favorite colors! Simply place assorted Pony Beads in a Giant Metal Bottle Cap and melt in the oven for 10-15 mins. Allow time to completely cool. Remove melted beads and attach a 1 1/4″ Silver Pin Back with E6000.
- Pony Beads (Made in the USA)
- Giant Metal Bottle Caps (without liners)
- 1 1/4″ Silver Pin Backs
- Optional: Buttons & Rhinestones
Directions for Making Pony Bead Pins:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. We used a small countertop convection oven. A regular size oven will work too!
2) Arrange 6x9mm Pony Beads in random order inside Giant Bottle Cap (these are made for crafts and have no lining). They look like a tiny pie pan. It is important that you only melt Pony Beads that are Made in the USA! Beads made in the United States are Lead Free! We used 6x9mm pony beads. This is the standard size of pony bead for most craft projects. The Giant Metal Bottle Cap will hold 19 pony beads (shown below).
3) Line oven rack with a piece of foil and set bottle cap on top of foil. Melt Pony Beads for 10-15 minutes. Check after 10 minutes. The longer you have the beads in the oven, the more they will melt.
4) Remove from oven and let completely COOL before handling the beads. Once the bottle cap and beads have cooled, the beads are easily removed from the bottle cap.
5) When complete cooled, just tip over the bottle cap and the melted pony bead shape will “pop” right out of cap!
6) Flip over the melted pony bead shape and attach a 1 1/4″ Silver Pin Back with E6000. Apply the E6000 directly to the pin back and then attach to the melted pony bead shape. We recommend E6000 because of the strong, permanent hold it gives and the flexibility it allows. If the pin back is bumped (once it dries) the E6000 will give and the pin back will not pop off!
7) Allow E6000 to completely dry. Usually a few hours is sufficient.
Instead of random bead colors, place a bead in the center of the Giant Bottle Cap and 6 of the same color beads around it. This will make a “flower” on the inside of the design.
Line the outside of the flower with the same color beads as well.
Make in Mom’s favorite colors!
Add ribbon and other embellishments behind the pony bead shape.
Add a Large Thin Ceramic Magnet instead of a pin back.